Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Genius of Albert Einstein and Michael Jackson

Einstein is a genius. Only a genius could truly love compound interest and elevate the concept by stating that it's the eighth wonder in the world.
He is famously quoted: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
If you find yourself stuck in a rut, repetitiously living your life and clinging to routines, it isn't going to yield different results. Try a few different things in your life to break yourself out of your routine. Drive new roads. Eat a different breakfast. Try new hobbies and sports. Read different books. Try new recipes. Plant new plants that you've never planted before. Re-arrange your furniture. If that didn't give you a different perspective of life or reinvigorate you at least it helped you tone your muscles somewhat lol

So have your tried anything new in your life? Have you ever thought about what you could change in your life? Have you helped anyone recently?

Michael Jackson's song, 'Man in the mirror' is such an inspirational song. Here are some of the lyrics that inspired me to make so many changes in my life for myself and for those who are less fortunate than I am (my fave bits are in bold):

"Gonna make a change
For once in my life
It's gonna feel real good
Gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right

As I turned up the collar on
A favorite winter coat
This wind is blowin' my mind
I see the kids in the street
With not enough to eat
Who am I to be blind
Pretending not to see their needs

...I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change...

A willow deeply scarred
Somebody's broken heart
And a washed out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind ya' see
'Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me"

To start you off on this 'thinking' type of post, I'll list a few things that I've recently been doing that broke me out of my routine. I tried:

* Collecting all my food and vegie scraps and composting them - reducing my landfill waste. Rubbish has been literally halved
* Minimising my usage of plastic bags, plastic food wrap, plastic cutleries and plastic packaging
* Lugging environmentally friendly shopping bags around and refusing new bags as often as I can(even when buying new clothes)
* Using recycled furniture that other people dump, refurbishing them -I confess that my recycled greenhouse project failed due to the wind blowing it apart but we did rescue a beautiful desk from our neighbour who had upgraded their desk
* Growing new plants from seed
* Reading less personal finance books and more frivolous books on gardening, composting and renovating
* Cooking new recipes - new desserts and new marinades
* Exercising more
* Knocking more tasks off my 'to-do' list by frantically working my way through the hard tasks that I would normally have procrastinated on (buying furniture, building furniture, building organisational storage etc)
* Blogging more ; )
* Eating more healthily - reduced meat intake, eating more vegies and fruit, no take-aways, bringing leftovers for lunch or making a simple sandwich for lunch with lots of vegies
* Forced myself not to stockpile food and groceries
* Using the ingredients that I've stockpiled in our freezer
* Working hard to convince myself to throw things out
* Thinking about how I can help some of my poor relatives in Cambodia when I eventually visit them

No comments:

Post a Comment