Thursday, July 14, 2011

New Zealand, Wanaka, Treble Cone & Cardrona

What you see is Lake Wanaka in New Zealand. Just before we drove back to Queenstown after a hardcore day at Treble Cone in 2008.

Only a few more weeks before we leave on our NZ snow trip for 2011. I'm pretty excited. My last memory of snow was spending three hours in solid rain at Falls Creek in Victoria trying to snowboard in slush and then fresh powder falling from the sky when we were packed up and ready to drive home.

Rain, hail or shine, I'm out there. Especially when it took us a total of 18 hours to drive down to Falls Creek and back home. This year the snow destination is New Zealand. We are praying for snow in New Zealand.

Powder + my board and I = perfection

“Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

When I first came across this quote, I was 16 and thought it was such a powerful and meaningful quote. Several years later and it's still a meaningful quote. There are a few things in our lives that we have little or no control over and there's no need to worry yourself over what you can't control.

Happiness isn't the only thing that is like a butterfly. Relationships are like butterflies. If you chase after anything or anyone too much, they may never come to you. Sometimes you just have to accept your life, enjoy what you can and then happiness will come your way. And no, I'm not smoking weed or turning hippy on you ~ A friend of mine who I no longer keep in touch with much, was always unhappy and swinging between depression and feeling suicidal. He thought that he could find happiness by moving overseas but not only do problems follow you, misery does too because happiness really is a state of mind.

Escaping overseas to avoid problems that you have at home could be effective if you have a maniacal ex or some creepy stalker that you're trying to get away from. Otherwise, those same old troubles just follow wherever you go until you confront them and resolve those issues.

Anyhoo, I've been in a happy state recently. Life has reached a few milestones and almost everything that I thought I wanted when I was 18 have come around. As Meatloaf once sang, "2 out of 3 ain't bad". The world is always promising with so many events left to unfold. I'm young and healthy with a great family, great friends and plenty of people that I love and care about very much.

We are looking forward to our ski trip to New Zealand that's coming up shortly in a few weeks. Our last trip to NZ was awesome. If you've never been, it should be on your list of countries to visit. The craggiest mountains and the most beautiful vista.

Do you think happiness is a state of mind? Can happiness be elusive no matter how hard you try?

No comments:

Post a Comment